Responsible for: Serving as the Aviation Safety and Occupational Health Specialist for the Contractor's onsite personnel within the Assigned Battalion. Responsible for a wide variety of high risk operations, facilities, and environmental conditions associated with Aviation Training, Maintenance and Operational activities. Mentors MNG counterpart in developing and sustaining functional Aviation and Ground Safety program. Promotes and advocates the overall safety program of the VA Aviation Director in all aspects of operations in support of Rotary Wing Operations. Provides oversight and conducts required inspections of associated Maintenance, Flight Operations, Training Operations, and Support Operations to insure a safe operating environment for employees and the customer.
1. Responsible for the coordination of aviation safety activities, policies and procedures, and incident reporting with the appropriate VA Management chain to ensure a safe and productive work environment within Battalion.
2. Responsible for supporting the safe operation of flight training, employment, maintenance, and flight procedures of MNG rotary wing aircraft.
3. Plans and organizes the implementation of a Battalion level Safety Management System in accordance with MNG or U.S. Army service guidance, while mentoring MNG counterpart in the same.
4. Assists the Airfield Safety Manager and Brigade Safety Manager in the accomplishment of the assigned functions of the program as required.
5. Assists safety specialists in resolving the especially complex and difficult problems and cases where guides are very general or lacking.
6. In cooperation with the MNG counterpart ASO, assist in the development of the Pre Accident Plan and conduct quarterly tests of the plan involving employees and tenant support activities to the maximum extent.
7. In cooperation with the Brigade Safety Manager, improve upon the Brigade Safety SOP and MNG regulations as guidance for all employees and MNG Soldiers.
8. Responsible for ensuring contractor employees comply with all Safety SOPs and regulations.
9. Provides technical leadership and guidance to subordinate safety professionals.
10. Plans and schedules periodic surveys of activity safety programs and facilities.
11. Recommends to management the application of specific techniques, methods and procedures to eliminate or control unsafe acts or conditions identified in surveys, inspections or through mishap information sources.
12. Investigates and analyzes accidents and hazardous conditions to determine origin, causes and contributing elements in coordination with VA leadership. Provides follow-up guidance to the Aviation Operations Director, VA General Manager and other appropriate personnel as required.
13. Train MNG counterparts on fundamentals of risk management.
14. Mentor MNG counterpart during any accident investigation.
15. Perform other tasks as assigned
B. Independence: Follows instructions of the Aviation Maintenance Division manager and the Brigade. Authority to select and implement goals and objectives within the execution of duties and responsibilities.
C. Supervisory Responsibilities: None
A. Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, or Associate’s Degree combined with at least 5 years of experience in aviation safety. Graduate of a Military Aviation Safety course.
B. Minimum of 9 years of experience in military aviation safety environment or corporate related fields, 3 years of which must be as an aviation safety officer.
C. Specific knowledge, skills, ability: Working knowledge of military safety regulations and best practices. Ability to read and apply local regulations to daily operations. Ability to communicate in English. Work safely and an ability to work well with others. Able to follow instructions. Lift and carry 20 kilos